Monday, February 18, 2013

3 Steps To Cure Your Melasma!

Before I get into my own personal miracle with ridding myself of Melasma, I need to make a few things clear. I am not being paid by the companies who's products I am about to write about. The products referred to in this article are my personal products that I use every single day. A ton of research, trial, error and money on my part has gone into picking each and every one of them! This is my own personal cure and experience! Every one's skin is different!  This may or may not work for you. I say that because I have to say that.  I believe in these products and I do know this method worked for me and other people.  You can read the reviews yourself on the links I provided! I am really paranoid of being called out or sued based on my words so I am careful!  I am sure you understand! Ok... Let's get on with it! Shall we.:o)  My hope is, through reading this article, you gain some knowledge and find a solution to your Melasma.

First let's define Melasma. The brown blotchy stuff on your face that's made worse by sunlight and makes you feel ugly. Well, at least it made me feel ugly and self conscious!. My Melasma came after my daughter was born, in 2008. I guess that happens to many women after pregnancy and sometimes it goes away.  I however, was one of the lucky women it decided to take up permanent residence on! I was tired of waiting for it to go away on it's own, so I decided to cover it up with makeup. I spent about $400.00 on different products, trying to find the magic coverage. There just wasn't one.  Next, I tried Microdermabrasion. This worked really well.  But the cost at $100.00 per session, with at least two sessions per month wasn't something I could continue to afford.  I had to find another solution!

 So, Here is my personal cure!


Step 1 - Exfoliate, Exfoliate, Exfoliate!  Get all the dead skin cells off of your face!  The place where I was getting Microdermabrasion also recommended that I purchase a manual microdermabrasion for home in between treatments. I have watched people purchase some drug store kits that pale in comparison to this little bottle of pure bliss.  Bioelements Pumice Peel works by using a small amount of the product and rub it in circular motion all over your face.  Of course avoiding your eye area.  As the product starts to dry, keep rubbing in a circular motion until the product traps your dead skin and miraculously sloughs off all the dead skin cells on your face and they fall into the sink! I love it! How cool is that? You get to actually see those yucky old cells falling. Maybe I'm sick, but I like to know that a product I am using is working and that dead skin falling of, is the best evidence I could have! So YAY! Love it.

Step 2 - Get rid of the brown stuff!  My favorite step!
Obagi Nu-Derm, CLEAR Skin Bleaching & Corrector Cream.  This stuff is my lord and savior of skin care products.  It reduced my tears and brought back my self esteem.  Yes, that may sound a little pathetic.  But I was pathetic and desperately wanted my brown spots to fade!  It took about three weeks to see a major difference.  But for me this stuff started working within a few days!  I love this product.  I have to say, I didn't go to a dermatologist to get this product.  But you probably should!  This is the first product I use on my skin after washing and drying it.  I then moisturize and put a good sunblock on!  After all, the sun is what makes the condition worse! 

Step 3 - A good foundation!
Estee Lauder Double Wear  - Absolutely Amazing stuff.  It glides on well.  Gives a nice natural look with great coverage and stays put under many conditions!  I Love it.  I like to put it on with a makeup brush.  It works so much better than using your hands and goes on more evenly.  They aren't cheap, but work fabulously!  Get a good one!  I like Clinique's foundation application brush.  Below is a video of the before and after of foundation makeup application and the products I use!
 
Step 3 Foundation Application Video 




17 comments:

  1. I see a lot of improvement in your skin tone since 2008. Good job Gina and an inspiration to others no matter what their skin problems may be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mom! I love you for saying that!!!! I hope so!

      Delete
  2. OMG! You’re a lifesaver! My wife's been looking for something that will help her remove melasma and you answered her prayers! Microdermabrasion is quite expensive and she kept complaining about it. If it worked for you, I hope it'll have the same effect on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marc,

      I am so glad you found this and I pray it works for your wife too. Because I know how deeply annoying it can be! Please keep me posted and if you have any questions, let me know!

      Grace

      Delete
  3. Laser skin treatment is one of the most effective.
    _________________________________
    Laser skin treatment

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, do you thing the tri-luma would work as well as the Obgi Nu Derm?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaime,

    I don't know. But it's interesting you ask because I just started using tri-luma a week ago. I went to the dermatologist finally. I was afraid to go because I thought it was going to cost a ton of money. But it didn't. So far, I will say the tri-luma looks like it's working better than the Obagi. I am saying that because I am getting fast results. I have read people that have gotten no results. Anyway, I think they key is sunscreen during treatment and after. I also think they need to give a follow up medication to HELP keep the melasma at bay... because it will come back when the sun gets to the spots. It's just that horrible. BUT their is a solution. There is a long term solution to this. There is a way to manage it and I am going to find out the best way. I am going to document my progress with it and then post when I am a month out of using tri-luma and only using sunscreen to see if any of the spots come back. Thank you for inquiring. GREAT and timely question!

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. I recommend a product to my patients called reverse. It's made by the drs who created proactiv, dr. Rodan and dr. Fields. It can be found at kpacetti.myrandf.com. It's less invasive and less expensive then Ipl or fraxel and has a 60 day empty bottle money back guarantee! Check out the site or email me at rf.pacetti@yahoo.com to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately Tri-Luma did not work for me. The product is expensive plus you can only use it for 8 weeks. I was left with 1/2 tube after my 8 weeks. What a waste of money!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the information... I really love your blog posts... specially those on Solution for Melasma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! I am so glad this has helped you. It's also very important to wear a good physical sunblock. The best place to purchase this is at a dermatologist office or skin care center. They always have the best quality sunblocks!

      Delete
  9. My heart goes out to anyone battling this disorder as I have struggled with melasma for about 7 years now. It initially showed up on my upper lip while I was on birth control. At that time I felt my “mustache” was tragic, but I had no idea how nice just having a mustache really was. Over the years, my Melasma has spread from my upper lip, to many spots on my forehead, to a spot on my left cheek, to my chin and then my right cheek. In summary, my entire face is covered in “dirt”. I was able to somewhat keep my spots under control using retin-a every evening and wearing sunscreen religiously; however, during my 1st pregnancy there was nothing I could do to manage it. The spots under my eyes were so bad towards the end of my pregnancy, that I looked like a raccoon. Thankfully, those spots did fade quite a bit after I stopped breast feeding; however, my Melasma still covers roughly 90% of my face. I continue to wear sunscreen religiously and try to avoid the sun whenever possible. I have tried every lotion, potion and pill out there in addition to countless peels with no relief. I should also mention I saw a nutritionist who assisted me with balancing my hormones and eating better, but still no improvement. This chronic disorder isn’t life threatening which I am thankful for, but it is awful nonetheless. I feel I have a love hate relationship with it. It is always on my mind – every time I go outside, every time I am out with friends, every time my husband sees me without makeup – always. There isn’t a moment where Melasma doesn’t plague my thoughts, but I have learned so many lessons by having Mealsma that I am honestly truly thankful for it. It has humbled me in a way nothing else could have, it taught me how to treat my skin better, it taught me the dangers of the sun, and most importantly it brought me closer to God. These are all valuable lessons I plan to pass along to my daughter which I may not have known without experiencing Melasma. Many of you may think I am crazy, but I am ready at this point for this disorder to go away and have decided to give it to God. I truly believe he is the only one that can heal me/us. I pray for peace and healing for everyone out there struggling with Melasma and I hope your battle with this disorder will be over soon. I ask that you please pray in agreement with me as Matthew 18:20 says “For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them”. What do you have to loose? If I am crazy and this doesn’t work – there is no harm. But – if I am right and God can heal us, then we have everything to gain. Thanks in advance for your prayers and good luck with your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      your post really moved me. No matter what regimen you use with Melasma, the pursuit of better skin is endless isn't it... The problem seems to be that nothing really works to reverse Melasma as far as we know to right now. Very consistent use of pharmaceutical products seems to be the best solution. I will be writing an update to the post shortly, regarding some things I've tried since my first post. Your prayer and message is wise. For most people, I think it's difficult to accept and face the world with Melasma. However, maybe, just maybe with the right combination of treatments and an attitude of gratitude for the beautiful creatures we are, maybe we can feel better about this thing that makes us a little different, inside and out. I will pray for you, for myself and everyone battling this. Thank you for sharing your feelings and praying for peace! God bless you Anonymous!:o)

      Delete
  10. HI Grace, first I want to say your skin looks beautiful! I also have this lovely condition and can relate to so many comment here. I wish I weren't so self conscious about it, but I am. :( I am writing because I want to try hydroquinone but I am nervous about the product. I heard it can make your melisma come back worse. How many times a day did you apply the Obagi? Also, my derm. wrote me a scrip for triluma. I am curious which one you had better results with? And did one last longer after you stopped using it and was maintaining with only sunscreen? sorry- can you tell I have possibly been overthinking this! lol! I am going to also pick up the scrub you mentioned. thanks for sharing. It really helps to talk with other women who feel the same way. And yes, I too believe in the power of prayer and God healing us. I will continue to pray for all of us! Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie,

      Thank you so much for sharing! I am going to post later today to answer some of your questions and others with an updated post! I think it's time. It has been a while since I posted this and have more to share with my journey and want to address some of the things I've learned and answer your questions as well!

      Check back later today to read the post and please let me know what course of action you decide to take, and later how that worked!

      God bless!

      Grace

      Delete
  11. Hi Grace! I just want to check and see if I missed your post elsewhere or if it will be a response on this post about the melasma? Can you tell I am eager to hear what works and what doesn't! :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie! I am so sorry! I have been swamped! I tried to get it done and I couldn't complete it! Argh. I promise to get it up within the next week!!!

      Delete