Monday, February 25, 2013

Authentic Italian Red Sauce a la Bean Pot!

 

Here we go guys! You are absolutely going to love this sauce! The Bean pot's special. It's not a crock pot. Let me repeat. It is not a crock pot! LOL! For those of you who are reading, who don't have a bean pot, Let me explain. It can be a slow cooker or not! It goes into the oven or can be used for cold salads. It stays cold or hot for a very long time outside of the oven and refrigerator. Which makes it great for parties and is easily transportable! It's also microwave and dishwasher safe! Beyond that, there's something special about the bean pot that cooks your food in an amazing way. I have been making my Italian red sauce for over 20 years in a crock pot and there is a distinct difference in the flavor cooking with the bean pot vs. the crock pot. The sauce comes out much richer. I'm full blooded Italian, and I can say, this sauce is the bomb! Now, don't take my word for it, try it yourself! But please, cook it in a bean pot! I promise you won't be disappointed!  Get your bean pot here!

So let's get on with the recipe shall we?

Ingredients:
*Put the following ingredients into the bean pot!
-1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
-1 28 oz can of tomato sauce
-1 small can of tomato paste
-1 pound ground sausage. I prefer mild. You can experiment and use hot. I like johnsonville sausage best! Brown the sausage in a frying pan before you place it into the bean pot.

More Ingredients:
*Put these ingredients into a food processor. Do not puree them. Give them a few pulses so they are chopped into small pieces and place them into the bean pot!
-1/2 red pepper
-1/2 green pepper
-1/2 yellow or orange pepper
-1/2 jalapeno pepper. If you like it spicy you can put the entire pepper in. Make sure you seed it.
-2 Leeks - They are a milder version of onions.
-1 handful fresh basil
-1 handful fresh parsley
-4 fresh garlic cloves

Now you're ready! Isn't that easy?  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the top on the bean pot and place it in the oven to cook for 4 hours.

Of course you can use the sauce for spaghetti or whatever type of pasta you prefer. I made baked ziti here and it's delicious and easy! After the sauce is finished cooking, you do the following if you choose to make ziti.

-place cooked ziti in a casserole dish put two table spoons of butter in and mix until blended.
-top with your sauce and mix it into the ziti so it's well coated.
-place a thicker layer of sauce on top of the ziti.
-finish with grated Mozzarella cheese, some fresh Parmesan and a few parsley leaves. Then place it in an oven at 450 degrees until the top has browned! If you like, you can also add a layer of ricotta cheese before putting the thicker sauce on top! Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't! That's the fun part about cooking!

So, I hope you enjoy this family recipe and keep it in your heart, on your table and in your cupboard for years to come! Let me know how you like the bean pot too!

Grace


3 comments:

  1. I can't believe you shared this fantastic recipe with the world! thank you so much it's unbelievable!!!

    ReplyDelete