Tuesday, February 19, 2013

How to get your kids to eat veggies!



It's the question on every parents mind. How do I get my kids to eat vegetables? I tried everything! Cut them into tiny pieces, made colorful presentations on small plates and stood on my head at the dinner table.  Nothing worked!  UNTIL, my obsession with mason jar salads happened. Then poof! Magically, Both of my kids want and love salads now. Oh dear, I sound like an infomercial.  Sorry!  I'm so excited about this though. I say, "Realaaaaay"? Is that all it took? YES!  I'm so happy I stumbled upon this amazing thing that worked for our family. I hope it helps you too! Read below for the miracle!!!:o)  Mason Jar salads are easy to make and delicious!  For some reason, way more delicious than just putting together a bunch of veggies in a bowl and mixing them up.  I think it's the veggies working together in the sanctity of the jar environment!  The best part is, they preserve for about 5-7 days. If you are interested in the mason jar salads in detail, you can read about them here on my blog!  Anyway, let me get on with the rest of this story. I did exactly this:

1) Sat down with each child as if I were interviewing them. Made it official with a pen and pad!
2) Told them I needed a new salad recipe for my mason jar salads and I wanted to name it after them. They loved this part!  I will be posting their recipes on this blog soon!
3) I asked them what veggies, fruit or other items they would like to include? Furthermore, it would have to be something they would eat and stand behind if it was going to be a real recipe!  
4) The List: They made a list of of things they would like included in their salad.
5) We shopped together, washed the veggies, fruit and other items together, cut together and layered their mason jars! Put the cap on and placed them into the refrigerator.
6) I prayed they would love their creations! I honestly did this. I really wanted them to get something out of this exercise. I was somewhat skeptical since nothing I had ever done excited them enough to eat veggies. But guess what?

 They both ate their entire salads!

My little girl was so excited about her salad she wanted me to take a picture and told me to put it on my blog! Perfect I say!

:o)Grace



No comments:

Post a Comment